Jewish Book Fairs and Festivals for Jewish Authors or Topics of Jewish Interest
By Scott Lorenz
Book festivals and fairs are held year round all over the world. As a book
marketing specialist, I am the first to impress on authors the new and powerful marketing avenues open to all authors on the Internet -
from websites and book trailers to social networks like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. While these are excellent tools when used properly, authors
should never overlook opportunities to meet the reading public face-to-face. If you are a Jewish author or specialize in writing about Jewish
issues, you should consider visiting some of these book fairs in the Jewish community.
- Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor. November 4 - 18, 2012. Contact Karen Freedland, Cultural Arts and Education Director,
at 734-971-0990. You can also visit http://www.jccannarbor.org/cultural-arts-education/jewish-book-festival/
- Jewish Book Council's Jewish Book Month will be held November 7 - December 7, 2012. Jewish Book Month is an annual event on the
American Jewish calendar dedicated to the celebration of Jewish books. It is observed during the month proceeding Hanukkah, thus the exact
date changes from year to year. http://www.jewishbookcouncil.org/about/jewish-book-month.html
- Valley of the Sun JCC in Scottsdale, AZ will be hosting the Arizona Authors Speaker Series monthly from October to April. The event
will take place on the 3rd Monday of each month from 1:30pm. Arizona contributes much to the literary world with authors and as a story
setting. The Valley of the Sun JCC will be treated to appearances by authors who are either from, reside, or use Arizona as a locale for
their books. The authors will speak about their life and writings. You need to be a Brandies member to join this group. Guests and JCC Members
are welcome for a $5 fee. RSVP's are required to Merrill Kalman: email@example.com or 480.296.3355
- Valley of the Sun JCC in Scottsdale, AZ will also be hosting “Exceptional” Characters in Books & Film, which is co-sponsored by CJSN.
The event will take place the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 1:00-2:30pm and will be featuring books with protagonists with disabling
conditions; our discussions will focus on the way the disability impacts the characters and the plot. http://www.vosjcc.org/SpecialEvents/CulturalArtsAndSpecialEvents
- JCC of Metro Detroit's 61st Annual Jewish Book Fair will be held November 7 - 18, 2012. At this event, fabulous authors from
all over the world will present their books. For further information, contact Dalia Keen at 248.432.5467 or email
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://jccdet.org
- Shalom Austin's Austin Jewish Book Fair will be October 28 - November 4, 2012. The schedule features lectures and discussions with
acclaimed writers, the annual Book Lover's Luncheon, and an onsite bookstore in partnership with Barnes & Noble. The total cost for
the Book Fair Package is: $25 JCC Member / $30 Non-member. Each individual event is: $10 JCC Member / $15 Non-member. Check out
http://shalomaustin.org/bookfair for further information.
- St. Louis JCC's 34th Annual St. Louis Jewish Book Festival presented by Maryville University - St. Louis will be November 4-15,
2012. All author events take place at the Staenberg Family Complex unless otherwise noted. For more information, please call the St. Louis
Jewish Book Festival Hotline: 314.442.3299 or visit http://www.jccstl.com/programs/arts-culture/st-louis-jewish-book-festival/
- Marcus JCC Atlanta's 21st Edition of the Book Festival of the MJCCA will be November 1- 18, 2012. For 20 successful years, the
Book Festival of the MJCCA has provided our community with a literary extravaganza featuring an exciting lineup of the year's most exceptional
authors, speakers, and celebrities. Please join thousands of your fellow book lovers to listen, meet, and interact with your favorite authors
in a variety of forums, including author meet-and-greets, book signings, a community read, and panel discussions. Check out http://www.atlantajcc.org/specialevents/book-festival-of-the-mjcca/
for more details.
- Mandell JCC of Greater Hartford will host the 20th Annual Mandell JCC Jewish Book Festival - Celebrating Israel, Debuts, Dads & Dudes
with events taking place November 18, 2012, January 23, 2013, March 16, 2013, and May 9, 2013. Please visit
for complete details.
- Columbus JCC is finalizing the fantastic 2012 line up for JCC Bookfair 2012! For more information about sponsorship contact Bookfair
Director Debbie Vinocur at email@example.com or 614.559.6214. Check
for updates as they become available.
- Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center in Houston, TX will be holding their 40th Annual Jewish Book & Arts Fair from Oct 28 - Nov
11, 2012. For a calendar of events and complete brochure, visit
- JCC of Greater Washington will host the 43rd Annual Book Festival from November 1- 11, 2012. The festival will present an exciting
line-up of best-selling authors as well as up and coming writers new to the literary scene. The nine-day Festival will be packed with engaging
author events, children's programs, book signings, and a bookstore brimming with Jewish must-reads. For details, to request a Book Festival
brochure, or to join the Book Festival Committee, contact the Book Festival Director Lynn Gittleson at 301.348.3840 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.jccgw.org/template.php?section=BF.
- San Diego Center for Jewish Culture will host the San Diego Jewish Book Fair 2012 from November 3 - November 11, 2012. The San Diego
Jewish Book Fair is the largest and most respected Jewish Book Fair in the nation and the largest literature-related event in San Diego
County. For tickets and further information, visit http://tickets.lfjcc.org/eventperformances.asp?evt=160.
- Mandel JCC in Beachwood, Ohio will be celebrating the 13th Annual Festival of Jewish Books & Authors from November 4-18, 2012. Stay
tuned for details and a full listing of authors, which will be announced this month! For information please contact Julie Frayman at email@example.com
or 216.831.0700 ext. 1316. Please check back at http://www.mandeljcc.org/book-festival/festival-of-jewish-books-authors/
- The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee in Florida will host the Jewish Book Festival Wednesday, November 14, 2012 with a lecture
and Q&A with author Lloyd Constantine. For questions, contact Len Steinberg at 941.371.4546 ext. 106 or visit http://www.jfedsrq.org/events.aspx
- JCC Dallas will host the J Book Fair October 11, 2012 - March 3, 2013. For more information, please contact Rachelle Weiss Crane at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 214.239.7128 or visit
Book fairs typically seek out guest speakers. By volunteering to speak at a Jewish book fair, you will pique the interest of
new readers and potentially gain a few new fans. Additionally, you can add the speaking appearance to your resume. Be sure to plan ahead because
book fairs, speaking engagements and readings are all planned months in advance. For a complete list of book fairs and festivals visit http://www.book-marketing-expert.com
The bottom line: Reach out to the Jewish community and attend a book fair! You will be happy you did.
About Scott Lorenz
Book publicist Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working
with authors to help them get all the publicity they deserve and more. Lorenz works with bestselling authors and self-published authors promoting
all types of books, whether it's their first book or their 15th book. He's handled publicity for books by CEOs, Navy SEALS, Homemakers, Fitness
Gurus, Doctors, Lawyers and Adventurers. His clients have been featured by Good Morning America, FOX & Friends, CNN, ABC Nightly News, The New
York Times, Nightline, TIME, PBS, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Family Circle, Woman's World, & Howard Stern to name a few.
Learn more about Westwind Communications' book marketing approach at http://www.book-marketing-expert.com or contact Lorenz at
or by phone at 734-667-2090. Follow Lorenz on Twitter @aBookPublicist